Drink Tank

Extra Aqua Vitae Nulla Salus

12.05.2006

Bob Dylan on country

Amazing. On the show themed "Your Friends and Neighbors," he plays a song called "Let's Invite Them Over," by George Jones and Melba Montgomery - about a couple who are in love not with each other, but with their friends (a great creepy sad song) - and then had this to say:

A song from the swingin’ ’60s. I don’t mean the swingin’ ’60s like Carnaby Street; I mean the swingin’ ’60s like, we have a party, and the men put all their car keys in a hat, the wives pick out a car key, they put on a Trini Lopez record, and everybody just swings.

Now, I’ve never been to a party like that myself, but I hear those kind of things happen.

Now, I love country music, but I say what happened to it? You hear a song like this and it’s obvious, it’s about real people, and real emotions, and real problems. That’s all — that’s the country music we learned to love. Nowadays they want to sweep all the problems under the rug, and pretend they don’t exist.

Well, guess what, folks? They do exist! And if you try and sweep them under the rug, they’re just gonna pop up somewhere else. So we might as well just face it and listen to the old style country music. The real country music. You know: about drinkin’, and sleepin’ around. That’s my kind of country music! And I hope yours, too.

But I digress.

1 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Blogger Miguel said...

Also: "they say your friends are God's way of apologizing for your family."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home