Drink Tank

Extra Aqua Vitae Nulla Salus

12.09.2005

Drink Like A King

Louis XIV discovered Chambord in 1685 not long before he and his French army laid siege to Philipsbourg. This is somewhat coincidental, as your Imbiber discovered the very same raspberry liqueur exactly 300 years later while laying siege to his parent's liquor cabinet in Philly after a high school dance. Louis XIV and his court were quite fond of the stuff, and it quickly became the liqueur of choice of the French aristocracy. I, however, wasn't so enamored with Chambord at first, mainly because my prom date threw up on me after drinking it. The lesson here, kids: Raspberry liqueur does not go well with Natty Light, pure grain alcohol and the semi-caustic vocal stylings of Mr. Mister.

In the ensuing years, I've come to appreciate Chambord for its distinct flavor and versatility. Plus the empty bottle I've got hanging from my rearview mirror looks most def. Chambord has been called the quintessential cocktail ingredient thanks to its uncanny knack for mixing well with almost anything (see above paragraph for exceptions). Having spent the better part of the past two hours whipping up Chambord-infused cocktails while listening to '80's music, I'm happy to report that Mr. Mister's "Broken Wings" has gotten less awful with age and that I can still hold my liquor better than most teenage girls. Oh, and I'm very drunk, too. Here are some ideas:

LA BOHEME
-1 shot vodka
-1/2 shot elderflower cordial
-1/2 shot Chambord
-1 1/2 shot cranberry juice
Shake well with ice and strain into a martini glass

FRENCH KISS
-2 shots vodka
-1 1/2 shots Chambord
-1 shot white creme de cacao
-1 shot heavy cream
Shake well with ice and strain into a martini glass. Float a mini Hershey's Kiss.

---Dan Dunn, The Imbiber

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home