Drink Tank

Extra Aqua Vitae Nulla Salus

9.14.2005

I've Gotta Give Him Props For This

Like most Americans, I am not the biggest fan of George W. Bush, but I can definitely commend him for being a man and taking responsibility on the Katrina affair, rather then continuing to point fingers(which is common to most people in politics - not just George):
With a rare but simple declaration - "I take responsibility" - President George W. Bush said for the first time yesterday that he would bear the blame for mistakes in the widely criticized federal response to Hurricane Katrina.
To me, admitting your mistakes, your weaknesses is a good first step towards making improvements and I have to give him props for taking the hard path on this one.

As Truman said: "The buck stops here."

5 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Blogger joško said...

I also appretiated his call for ending agricultural subsidies so places like sub-Saharan Africa could compete with developed nations.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Miguel said...

I absolutely agree that the process of noticing mistakes and making improvements upon them is one that the president would do well to take.

Josko - maybe he's responding to recent criticism. But isn't his UN strategy that nothing happens at the UN? Saying he expects all other nations to act first gives him a lot of room to claim he supports a policy he'll never enact.

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Ivan said...

Note that EU agricultural studies are an order of magnitude more than the US. Of course, I think they should all be repealed.

How could Bush say something like "some things went wrong in Iraq, and I take responsibility", without precipitating a demagogue inspired pull-out?

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger joško said...

I thought LBJ said 'the buck stops here.' Didn't he have it on a plaque on his desk or something? And if it's true, why didn't he look at it as Vietnam went out of control? (Well, I guess he sorta did take responsibility by not running for re-election in '68---oh wait, didn't he kinda change his mind about that too during the Democratic Convention? ...Anyhow, I digress)

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Ivan said...

No it was truman.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home